Earth Day, which is celebrated around the world on April 22nd, is one of the most important and popular international holidays around. If you aren’t familiar with Earth Day, then read on to find out more about this great—and green!—holiday that we can all celebrate.
When and where did Earth Day Start?
Earth Day was first celebrated in 1970. The history of Earth Day can be traced back to John McConnell; a famous peace activist who proposed that a holiday should be created that honored both the Earth had the concept of peace on Earth. IN response, Earth Day was created.
The original Earth Day was celebrated on March 21st, which was the first day of spring; however, a later date (April 22nd) was created that same year so that children could learn more about the day.
In 1990, Earth Day–now celebrated on April 22nd, rather than March 21st–went global. Although it had humble beginnings, the holiday is now celebrated in more than 193 countries.
Why Earth Day is Important
Earth Day is important because it is a day for people to learn about and celebrate the Earth. Earth Day is also a time when people can reflect on what they can do to help protect the Earth and all of the ecosystems, animals and people that live on it. It is important for people to learn how to celebrate and protect Earth as soon as possible so that they can grow up understanding that everyone has a responsibility to protect the planet.
How People Celebrate Earth Day
There are many different ways that people celebrate Earth Day around the world. Some of the most common ways that people celebrate Earth Day on a global scale include:
- Teaching children about the Earth and environment with special learning programs on April 22nd
- Writing and performing songs about the earth and the environment
- Donating to charities related to protecting the environment
- Hosting “plant a tree” events where people plant trees in large groups
- Hosting large outdoor parties in parks and other public spaces
- Encouraging people to send time outdoors enjoying the Earth
Each country and region will have its own particular Earth Day customs, so the above information will vary from place to place.
How Can I Celebrate Earth Day?
There are many different ways that you can celebrate Earth Day as an individual person! If you are interested in making the most out of your Earth Day this year, consider the following ideas:
- Plant a tree
- Start a garden
- Head to a public park and pick up trash that you see
- Sit outside and enjoy nature
- Visit public gardens
- Commit to reducing your plastic waste
- Collect items that can be recycled
- Take the time to learn something new about the earth
- Share information with friends and family about the environment
- You can also wear one of our Earth Day outfits while enjoying your day 😉
Earth Day will be celebrated this year, like every year, on April 22nd. Make sure that you take the time on April 22nd to show your appreciation for Earth and the environment.